Welcome to Rovio! We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist, Team Manager, to join our Business Intelligence team in Espoo, Finland. You will join us to expand one of the most successful entertainment brands in the world and enable our thriving teams to create engaging experiences for millions of players using data science.
Our players generate massive amounts of data (i.e. billions of data points per day). In Rovio, data sits at the heart of everything we do, as it enables us to enhance our game operations as well as lots of other cool stuff. We believe such huge data has value only if it is converted to actionable recommendations. Our Business Intelligence team empowers the game teams through insights derived from the data and develops relevant tools and models to support decision making.
You will work closely with various teams such as User Acquisition, Advertising, and game teams. As a Senior Data Scientist, Team Manager, you will play a pivotal role in steering Rovio’s data science activities. You will foresee and plan the modelling projects for the games unit, and lead the implementation of cross-portfolio machine learning projects.
At Rovio we create different types of games that reach to billions of players. This presents a big challenge for data science and an exciting opportunity for creating models with great impact for the Games unit and millions of players. We predict how players will play, retain and spend through time, which is fundamental to the gaming industry. You will apply state-of-the-art data science methods for creating automated decision-making systems for performance marketing activities in the magnitude of millions of euros monthly. Together with our data engineering team, you will prototype and develop scalable solutions that are used to make recommendations for large scale user acquisition and cross-promotion campaigns. In addition to marketing optimization, you will have the chance to work on any and all of the most interesting and high impact analytics challenges faced by Rovio.
The main responsibilities are in the following three areas:
- Developing models and algorithms that increase the efficiency in decision making and drive higher ROI
- Designing automated solutions to improve ways of performance marketing and advertising using your statistics, machine learning, and programming skills
- Defining and spreading best analytics practices, methods and processes inside Rovio
- Testing your ideas and work with data engineers to take your solutions to production
- Working with and guide other team members in data science projects that are of more technical nature
- Creating systematic ways for validating the quality of the models
- Providing leadership and support to a team of data scientists
- Coaching team members’ to improve their performance and help them advance in their career development
- Guiding stakeholders in understanding data science concepts (e.g., ML, AI, model selection), utilizing existing data, discovering opportunities and driving data-driven decision making
- Expert knowledge in data science, machine learning, and statistics(e.g. bayesian modeling, gaussian processes, random forests, boosting trees, neural networks, AB testing)
- Experience in applying data science for the tasks of regression, classification, and forecasting
- Know-how to do feature engineering on time series
- Proven record of applying models from concept to production
- Programming skills in Python and/or R
- Ability to automate analytics processes using programming languages or modern data science tools
- Solid knowledge of databases and Big Data technologies (e.g. SQL, Spark, Presto)
- Interest in mobile games: Your gaming experience will help you to understand the data and business problems.
- Self-starter type of personality, ability and willingness to guide a team of experts with different backgrounds.
- Proactive, trusted advisor and driven by curiosity
- Ability to lead the work of others in the craft and provide constructive feedback
- 4+ years of relevant work experience
Additionally, we'd love you to have:
- Prior work experience in performance marketing, advertising, or gaming industries
- Experience in working with a team of data scientists and leading/coaching peers
What you get when you join us:
- Strong company with ambitious plans for the future: Rovio has long background in the mobile gaming industry and we have no plans to stop our growth.
- Awesome data-minded coworkers: We are a family-like community that is hands-on, collaborative and ambitious. We help each other grow professionally.
- Personal growth: We offer subscription to various learning platforms, as well as budget to buy books and conference tickets.
- Fun and international environment: You will hear lots of languages, jokes, and laughter in our workplace.
- Hackathons: We love to try new technologies and methods to build the next generation infrastructure.
- Competitive benefits such as a cell phone of our top models, a laptop you feel comfortable with, lunch and sport vouchers, breakfast, gaming area, sauna, and more.
Don't keep us waiting - send your application already today! Remember to include a cover letter and CV.