We don’t just collect data we connect data.
We have the best data and the best tools. We continuously challenge conventional approaches to market research, and we disrupt our industry to ensure that our clients always get the best solutions.
YouGov is an international data and analytics group. Our core offering of opinion data is derived from our highly participative panel of 7 million people worldwide, with 33 million interactions and billions of data points. We combine this continuous stream of data with our deep research expertise and broad industry experience into a systematic research and marketing platform. We have 34 offices in 22 countries and panel members in 38 countries.
We're looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our Custom Analytics team. Ideally you'll come from a Statistics or Data Science background, and be comfortable leading projects, mentoring others and reviewing technical pieces of work.
What will I be doing day to day?
- Manage ad hoc statistical analysis projects (mostly conducted in R)
- Working with the analytics team’s statistical analysts, and with internal clients at YouGov, to identify research needs and appropriate statistical methods
- Supervising analysts in the execution of standard projects. Reviewing, approving, and providing feedback on analysts’ statistical programming,
- Conducting statistical analysis on more complex projects
- Helping identify and communicate findings and implications to internal and potentially external clients, including audiences without training in statistics
- Help implement statistical best practices in the analytics team and grow our repertoire of techniques, with a focus on discrete choice methods
- Support the adoption of best practices in statistical programming. Provide feedback on coding style and efficiency, and support the implementation of version control and code review techniques
- Contribute to the development of case studies and training materials for use throughout the company
- Help triage competing requests for resources
- Monitor project timelines to ensure on-time delivery
- Identify and help implement improvements to team processes
- Serve as a resource and coach for analysts
- Work with a wide range of statistical techniques, potentially including:
- Regression/key drivers (including multilevel/panel data, time-series cross-sectional data, and categorical dependent variables)
- Discrete choice (eg, conjoint, maxdiff/best-worst scaling, TURF, price sensitivity)
- Clustering/segmentation (eg, k-means, hierarchical, latent class/finite mixture)
- Dimension reduction (eg, factor analysis, correspondence analysis/brand maps, item-response theory)
- Analysis with incomplete or missing data (eg, multiple imputation, selection models, full-information maximum likelihood)
What do I need to bring with me?
- 4+ years’ experience in a statistics, or data science role
- Outstanding statistical skills, focused on deriving usable insights from data
- Strong statistical programming skills, ideally in R, and familiarity with modern data science programming principles
- Experience managing data analysis projects for internal or external clients, meeting timelines and exceeding expectations
- Proven ability to translate broad research questions into appropriate technical methods, and to translate technical findings into meaningful non-technical conclusions
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, and desire to help build a growing team
- Experience in commercial market research or public opinion polling preferred