What We Do:
The Software Engineering Institute is creating a movement to mature the discipline of AI Engineering for Defense and National Security. As our government customers adopt artificial intelligence and machine learning to provide leap-ahead mission capabilities, we are working to provide the processes, practices, and tools to support operationalizing AI for robust and trustworthy mission capabilities. Our work includes scalable AI and ML; the tailoring of modern software practices for AI-enabled systems; architectures, design patterns, modeling, and representations; building tools and processes for trustworthy development of AI-enabled capabilities; and test, evaluation, verification, and validation of AI systems. Of course, building and maturing the discipline of AI Engineering also requires building real-world, mission-scale AI capabilities through solving practical engineering problems and learning from those experiences.
Are you creative, curious, energetic, collaborative, technology-focused, and hard-working? Are you interested in making a difference by supporting the adoption of innovation across the government? Apply to join our team.
Position Summary: As the Head of AI Engineering on our team, you will lead, shape, and direct our AI Engineering research and technology portfolio.
- BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with fifteen (15) years of applicable experience; or MS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with ten (10) years of applicable experience; or PhD in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or related quantitive field of study with seven (7) years of applicable experience.
- Flexible to travel to Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C., sponsor sites, conferences, and other meetings. Moderate (20-40%) travel outside of your home location.
- You will be subject to a background investigation and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Technical Leadership and Portfolio Management: You have created, grown, and led research and advanced technology initiatives and portfolios. You have mentored, managed, and led teams of researchers and technology developers.
- Deep technical knowledge: You have performed and led extensive work in machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer vision, data science, data engineering, or related fields. You have worked with tools, software, and programming languages associated with your field.
- Research and advanced technology practices and publications: You have a track record that includes leading research, applying scientific methods, and developing advanced technologies. You have a reputation for the highest level of integrity. You have demonstrated technical contributions and you have showcased your work across multiple fields.
- Engagement: You regularly scan and maintain awareness of technology trends and opportunities. You are familiar with technical challenges and emerging trends in computing and information science, and you are aware of opportunities in government and industry.
- Idea Generation and Proposal Creation: You have experience participating in and leading idea creation process, have formulated and delivered successful research or advanced technology proposals to government funding agencies, and led the resulting projects.
- Government projects: You have worked with DARPA, IARPA, Service Labs, or other government research, development, and engineering sponsors.
- Research, Development, and Engineering Leadership: You will develop, lead, and oversee a portfolio of projects to advance the discipline of AI Engineering.
- Talent Development: You will help identify, recruit, retain, mentor, and develop a high-caliber, interdisciplinary team of engineers, research scientists, and advanced technology developers.
- Strategy: You will lead the process to plan, develop, and carry out an overall research and technology development strategy, and influence the national research agenda on the processes, practices, and tools to promote mature AI Engineering.
- Customer and Innovation Community Engagement:You will engage with customers and stakeholders. You will represent the SEI’s AI Engineering portfolio regularly presenting our work at collaboration venues and to customers. You will build and maintain relationships with the DoD innovation and technology ecosystem including relevant engineering, research, and technology development communities.
- Collaboration: You'll actively participate on teams of software developers, researchers, designers, and technical leads. You'll collaborate with researchers and our government customers to understand challenges, needs, and possible solutions. You'll contribute to improving the overall technical capabilities of the SEI by mentoring and teaching others, participating in design (software and otherwise) sessions, and sharing insights and wisdom across the SEI. You will work closely with other senior AI researchers and engineers across a variety of focus areas
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communication and Collaboration: You are an exceptional communicator and can interact collaboratively and diplomatically with customers and colleagues at all levels of experience and knowledge. You grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort while having the natural ability to dig into the details on problems and technical concepts and provide clear direction. You can present complex ideas to people who may not have a deep understanding of the subject area.
- Dedication and Motivation: You can meet deadlines while multi-tasking–sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities. You are self-motivated and can work toward a common vision with little oversight.
- Creativity and Innovation: You are creative and curious, and you are inspired by the prospect of collaborating with premier researchers and visionaries at Carnegie Mellon University and innovation-focused organizations. You quickly learn new procedures, techniques, and approaches. You are forward-looking and can connect research with practical challenges.
- Knowledge and Learning: You possess broad technical interests along with a deep knowledge of a particular field such as computer vision, data science and machine learning, advanced computing, and autonomy and artificial intelligence.
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.