SR RESEARCH DATA SCIENTIST
Salary: $5,916.67 - $12,733.33/MO
Final Filing Date: 08-12-2019
The UC Davis DataLab: Data Science and Informatics is seeking a full-time data scientist to join our team. Under general direction of the DataLab Director, the Data Scientist will support academic research across the university by designing and implementing practical solutions to data science challenges. This position is responsible for working on numerous diverse, cutting-edge, collaborative research projects, providing data science consultation and services/support for other projects and researchers, offering workshops to train students, staff, and faculty in data science methods and technologies, and developing general, reusable data science infrastructure, methods, software and tools. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of applying statistical and machine learning methods to real-world problems and also expertise and documented experience applying mixed effect models, time series analysis, data visualization, data technologies, high-level parallel computing, text mining, and natural language processing. The ideal candidate should be excited to aid data-enabled, multi-disciplinary research and to continually learn, share, and problem solve. This is a contract appointment that ends three years from the date of hire with the possibility of extension or conversion to a career position based on performance and available funding.
• PhD in a data-analytic discipline (e.g., Data Science, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Information Science, or similar data analysis focused discipline) with at least 2 years of work experience involving hands-on data science problem solving with real-world, complex data sets.
• Problem-solving and data manipulation skills.
• Knowledge of and experience applying statistical modeling and machine learning methods to real world problems.
• Proficiency in a high-level programming language (e.g., C, R, or Python) and a willingness to learn (if necessary) and work in R and C++.
• Initiative to advance skills and knowledge as needed to fulfill assigned tasks and projects, including learning new methods and technologies.
• Experience teaching or training others in the proper application of data science skills, methods, and theory.
• Ability to work both as part of a team and independently, including sharing code and documentation and conducting reproducible analyses.
• Verbal and written communication skills for research, technical, and lay audiences.
• Ability to organize, manage, prioritize and work on multiple dynamic projects.
• Documented experience working in teams to solve data-driven, interdisciplinary problems.
• Experience with parallel computing paradigms and technologies for data science.
• Experience with software development, version control, unit testing, portability.
• Experience working with sensitive/protected data in a research setting.
• Experience developing educational materials and curricula and leading training and educational activities on data science topics, methods, and/or technologies.
• Experience supervising interns.
• Experience working with researchers on experimental design for research.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
See related AI ML Jobs