We're Equinor, an international energy company with a proud history. Formerly Statoil, we are 20,000 committed colleagues developing oil, gas, wind and solar energy in more than 30 countries worldwide. We're the largest operator in Norway, among the world's largest offshore operators, and a growing force in renewables. Driven by our Nordic urge to explore beyond the horizon, and our dedication to safety, equality and sustainability, we're building a global business on our values and the energy needs of the future.
The role of the COO organisation is to drive consistent long term safe and efficient operational performance and value creation. The COO organisation is responsible for the corporate improvement programs and works closely with the line in continuously improving Equinor's performance.
We are seeking a Senior/Principal Data Scientist to join the US Data Science Team.
The team is one of several teams in our Data Science division within our Digital Centre of Excellence. Data science in Equinor is about creating value adding ML technology, not fitting algorithms to a perfect data set.
Our vision is to embed data science in Equinor’s core business processes to increase our competitiveness. To achieve our vision, we think deployment, scale & speed from day one. For us, data science means delivering products that create value. Products are complex ML workflows that are applied to many business use cases with little marginal cost. We therefore need to master the whole development cycle and push prototypes fast into production using our data science platform. To achieve speed, we work in a startup mentality and ringfence our highly competent team to develop scalable products.
We believe in diversity and are proud of the mix of background (half of the team has PhDs), geography (we are in 6 different cities, 3 different countries), industry (we hail from 6 different industries), nationality (we are 14 different nationalities) and gender (1:2 female to male ratio) we have in our team.
You will be working on complex problems in small, diverse groups. You will need to collaborate with key stakeholders in the business to identify value, define problem statements, find solutions and to deliver end-to-end. Our team's task is to prototype new solutions, drive early adoption, productizing, and iteratively improving deployed software. You will do that through building and improving machine learning models, scaling solutions to new domains, and general software development.
What you will do:
• Work closely with business stakeholders to identify value and business needs and translate them into concrete problem statements that you and your team can deliver on.
• Source, wrangle, cleanse and analyze large amounts of data in our cloud-based development and production environment
• Rapidly prototype and iterate to build production ready solutions that scale with epsilon cost, building on existing internal services or developing new ones
• Tune your models / architecture efficiently
• Embed your ML workflows as part of existing or new Equinor ML products, refactor your code to meet our deployment standards
• Improve and develop machine learning models using state-of-the-art techniques within deep learning
• Monitor and follow-up your models when in production to ensure good performance & value creation
• Automate as much as possible your and your team’s ML workflows to enable low cost scaling
• Identify and build the right user experience so that the output of your ML workflows is easily interpretable for and actionable by the business users
• PhD or Master in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent fields
• Experience developing and productizing real-world AI/ML applications such as prediction, personalization, recommendation, optimization and content understanding
• Experience within Deep Learning is a plus
• Experience working with large data sets using open source technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, and Neo4j
• Experience working with the following machine learning frameworks / libraries: sklearn, tensorflow, keras,
• Experience in ML/AI product development and iterative work: from data generation/collection to visualization and explainability
• Advanced coding skills in Python, experience with containerization and micro-services development
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to live by our safety and security expectations
• You are outcome driven and can handle uncertainty
• You are ferociously curious, driven to ensure that you fully understand the business context of your solution
• You believe in fast prototyping and have intuition and the ability to stop and evaluate when you feel that you are going down a dead end
• You have curiosity beyond ML modeling. You are excited about end-to-end aspects of deploying ML models
• You are innovative, analytical and base your judgments on data
Equinor offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package. Equinor is an equal opportunity employer.
Our values are to be courageous, open, collaborative and caring. We believe in these qualities, which are essential for building an even stronger Equinor. If you can identify with them, you could be the one to strengthen our team. Candidates are expected to openly offer all relevant information about themselves during the recruitment process.
All permanent and temporary hires will be screened against relevant sanctions lists to ensure compliance with sanctions law and increase security.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.