As a member of the Helmholtz Association, Forschungszentrum Julich makes an effective contribution to solving major challenges facing society in the fields of information, energy, and bioeconomy. It focuses on varied tasks in the area of research management and utilizes large, often unique, scientific infrastructure. Come and work with around 6,100 colleagues across a range of topics and disciplines at one of Europes largest research centres.
The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences Agrosphere (IBG-3) contributes to an improved understanding and reliable prediction of hydrologic and biogeochemical processes in terrestrial systems. At IBG-3, modeling of the terrestrial system in supercomputer environments and the analyses of large data sets constitute central components of scientific and applied research. IBG-3 is also member of the Centre of High-Performance Scientific Computing in Terrestrial Systems (HPSC TerrSys), Geoverbund ABC/J, Germany (http://www.hpsc-terrsys.de ). IBG-3 and HPSC TerrSys maintain a leading position in the development and application of parallel software technologies in the geosciences.
We are looking to recruit a
Scientific Progammer (m/f/d) in the area of simulation models for terrestrial systems
You will contribute to state of the art research on the sustainable use of soil and water resources including improved predictions with terrestrial system models and impact of climate change on terrestrial systems. You will work in a dynamical and interdisciplinary team in an international environment.
This includes especially:
- parallelization of state-of-the-art simulation models on high performance computing systems
- implementation of hydrogeophysical algorithms for modelling and inversion of electromagnetical induction and surface und borehole georadar
- coupling of simulation models for terrestrial systems and data assimilation algorithms for parallel computation
- implementation of models on a Beowulf Linux Cluster (1024 cores) and on the high performance computation systems JUWELS and JUQUEEN
- BSc or MSc in computer science or related field with focus on software development for HPC/Cluster platforms
- job experience is of advantage, but not needed
- experience in the installation, operation and maintenance of Linux-based open-source software packages
- extensive experience with designing, implementing and maintaining software components using programming languages like C/C++, Fortran and Python;
- good knowledge of parallel programming models like MPI, OpenMP and Pthreads
- involvement in software development life-cycle (source control, debugging, testing and documentation)
- familiarity with programming languages like Java, Matlab, Octave, Cuda, R and Shell scripting
- documentation of work progress and participation in writing project reports and scientific papers
- technical consultation for institute staff in order to make better use of available HPC platforms
- support and preparation in the preparation of courses for technical and scientific personnel
- support for courses in the area of modelling of terrestrial systems and parallel simulation methods
- team-oriented with a pro-active attitude to solve problems
- a very good control of English language for daily communication in an internationally composed research team
- exciting working environment on an attractive research campus with excellent infrastructure, located between the cities of Cologne, Dusseldorf, and Aachen
- possibility to continue the technical and scientific education with international experts, workshops and conferences
- international and interdisciplinary working atmosphere
- flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
- a two years temporary contract with possible longer-term prospects
- opportunity to job share
- full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
Forschungszentrum Julich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably via our online recruitment system on our career site, quoting the reference number 2019-191.
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the
Please note that for technical
reasons we cannot accept
applications via email.