As our Senior Backend Engineer, you will be building the backbone of our service, ensure low latency performance, high-level test coverage and participate in detailed code reviews. You will be involved in advanced architecture sessions combined with spearheading the interfaces for our web, mobile and other applications making this an exciting and challenging role.
Our backend stacks are split between .NET Core, MSSQL, PostgreSQL and Node.js, Typescript and MySQL, all in a Docker/Kubernetes micro-service architecture. You should be well versed in at least one of these stacks, but preferably both.
Velocity Black - “Combining human expertise with Artificial Intelligence”
You will also be focused on our machine learning and recommendation engine initiatives. We strive to provide our members with a world-leading concierge experience while tackling the toughest challenge of our industry; scalability.
We have several data warehousing, data science, automation and machine learning projects that all prove a great opportunity for the right candidate to pick up and use to provide new, innovative solutions and see to their implementation and direct effect on our members.
- Strong commercial software development experience with a proven track record in Node.JS environments
- Experience of containerisation (Docker) and container orchestration (Kubernetes)
- Thorough understanding of scope and tradeoffs of microservice architecture
- Deep understanding in designing and developing REST APIs
- Strong understanding of systems using real-time interactions (web sockets, long-polling, eventual consistency)
- Strong test focus, BDD and TDD practices including implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Excellent knowledge in relational databases
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Knowledge of messaging patterns like pub/sub and message queues such as Rabbit MQ
Key Qualities & Attributes
- Admiral communication skills - ability to converse concisely is imperative within our small but rapidly growing global teams and global providers, hence this is critical for success!
- Continual Improvement - Learning and improving- not only yourself but the whole team
- Be a pragmatic and versatile self-starter:- self-motivated, have a stellar work ethic and hold yourself to high standards
- Problem solver - As a team, we help each other out whenever and however we can
- Detail Focused - We're obsessive in our pursuit of perfection and the best customer experience
- Enthusiastic and innovative - We're building things we care about and we love what we do!
- Confidence & Focus - hold yourself to your high standards - we're obsessive in our pursuit of perfection and the best customer experience
- Experience with Big Data Stores and technologies (ElasticSearch, Cassandra)
- GraphQL experience
- Very competitive salary + other benefits to be discussed
- 25 days Holiday + Bank Holidays
- Stock Options
- BUPA Private Healthcare
- 60% off Gym Memberships
- Team Nights Out and Lunches
- Free Breakfast and Snacks
- Chance to work with pioneering technology in a high calibre team