Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
We are seeking a Data Scientist to join our AI Data Science and Analytics team, focusing on Video Understanding. Facebook is the second largest online video platform in the world. Video at its heart is a social experience, as people talk about and talk through video. Users upload their own videos. They go Live and broadcast to their friends. Pages upload tens of millions of hours a day. The mission of the Video Understanding team at Facebook is responsible to create highly personalized video experiences for Facebook users. This means understanding what a video is about, as well as what a given user is interested in. This role is focused on better understanding the ecosystem of videos on Facebook. That includes better understanding the types of videos we have (classification by different content types and publisher types); better understanding the types of user interactions we have (substantive discourse versus platitudes versus shares); better understanding the impact of video watching on our users, so that we can build brand new, personalized video experiences for our users.
We are looking for strong Data Scientists to help the team build compelling, personalized experiences around Video. This role works closely with both product and engineering teams to help define and execute on opportunities to improve and expand our video understanding and recommendation systems. Successful candidates for this role will have a background in a quantitative or technical field, will have experience with personalization, video ecosystems and working with large data sets, and will have experience in influencing decision making across different teams through data.
- Apply your analytical skills to gain deep insights into the data and ML model performance, and be able to clearly present your results and help guide cross-functional partners
- Partner closely with Engineering, Product and User Research teams to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities. This is a very cross-functional role
- Influencing the roadmap and decisions made by the team through presentation of data-based recommendations, and clearly communicating the state of the video understanding effort, experiment results, etc. to product teams
- Partner with cross-functional teams to identify new opportunities requiring the use of modern analytical and modeling techniques
- Effectively communicate insights and recommendations to upper management in support of strategic decision-making
- Plan, and be able to conduct as needed, end-to-end analyses, from data requirement gathering, to data processing and modeling
- Own ongoing deliverables and communications
- MS degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., statistics, operations research, econometrics, computer science, applied mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, industrial engineering) or equivalent experience
- 10+ years experience doing quantitative analysis or statistical modeling
- Knowledge of at least one modeling framework (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, SAS, R, MATLAB)
- Experience influencing product strategy through data-centric presentations (to product, business, and other stakeholders)
- Knowledge in at least one of the following areas: predictive modeling, machine learning, experimentation methods
- Experience extracting and manipulating large datasets
- Development experience in any scripting language (PHP, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Experienced with packages such as NumPy, SciPy, pandas, scikit-learn, dplyr, ggplot2
- 5+ years experience leading technical teams
- Experience with distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop)
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.