You’ll work as part of our Travel Transport & Logistics (TTL) practice and McKinsey’s firmwide Digital and Analytics practice. You will work closely with senior leaders across our global TTL practice, and directly with our senior clients on topics related to advanced analytics and data science. You will be part of the senior leadership team that helps our clients deliver material value from their analytics and digital assets. Location is flexible (North America only), with travel expected between 50-80%.
Our Travel Transport & Logistics practice works with clients in the travel and tourism space as well as freight and passenger transportation sectors – be it via ocean, air, roads, rail. The majority of our clients are airlines, airports, hotels, cruise lines, rental car providers, tour operators, railways, urban transit operators, postal, parcel and express services, trucking companies, port operators, shipping lines, and others in the distribution value chain.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
You will be responsible for leading analytics delivery on client studies, apprenticing dozens of technical practitioners, and leading research, insights and publications.
We are in the midst of an unprecedented period of change within the travel, transport and logistics sectors, with a high bar on delivering new and profound perspectives grounded in proprietary analytics. As such, you will serve as a senior expert or as a dedicated Engagement Director on client engagements to make recommendations to industry clients across sectors, functions, and geographies in the context of rapidly growing analytics opportunities.
You will develop a highly-performing analytics team across TTL and oversee multiple simultaneous deployments to institutionalize use of analytical tools. While providing support to more junior team members and client service teams (CSTs), you will also design and lead large, complex, high-profile sessions/workshops on findings and implications.
You will partner with client service teams to adapt the approach to changes in competitive landscape and provide problem-solving support to address complex client needs or provide support on more sophisticated analysis. You will deliver high-impact insights and recommendations credibly with senior clients and ensure the team is leveraging the latest analytical methods, datasets and toolsets; as part of these efforts, you will identify new analyses or implementation strategies that contribute to future iterations or extension of analytic tools or new tools altogether.
- Graduate degree in a quantitative discipline; PhD preferred
- Aviation/travel/hospitality, transportation/transit or distribution/logistics industry and data knowledge is a strong plus
- 7-12+ years of advanced analytics experience using analytics to drive business results in, ideally, information-dense and customer-facing roles
- Experience with building scalable and secure analytical solutions to address high-impact business problems
- Extensive experience managing analytics teams (e.g., statistical, data, econometric), both on-shore and off-shore, to create meaningful and measurable business impact
- Proven track record of establishing positive client relationships that leads to generating repeat and/or new business development opportunities and successful client engagements
- Proven thought leadership within the analytics sector, including production, syndication/publication of ‘marketable’ knowledge
- Experience with cloud services platforms like AWS, GCP, or Microsoft Azure, and languages such as SQL, PL/SQL, and R – across a variety of relational database platforms (Postgres, MySQL, Amazon Aurora, etc.)
- Exposure to Big Data platforms like Hadoop, Map/Reduce, Spark, Hbase, CouchDB, Hive, Pig etc.
- Exposure to enterprise implementations of CRM (Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, etc.) or ERP (Oracle, etc.) systems most commonly encountered at clients highly preferred
- Exposure to TeraData, Oracle, MySQL, Informatica, Tableau, QlikView or similar reporting and BI packages
- Strong communication and collaboration skills and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work at an abstract level and gain consensus
- Professional attitude and service orientation; inspirational leadership