Computer Systems Engineer - 85219
Organization: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Berkeley Lab’s Joint Genome Institute Division has an opening for a Computer System Engineer. This role will serve as a Bioinformatics Software Developer for the next generation of Integrated Microbial Genomes & Microbiomes (IMG) data warehouse. The next generation of IMG is being developed in order to handle orders of magnitudes more data which is being generated by modern sequencers at JGI and elsewhere. You will work on redeveloping the pipelines to accommodate this increased volume of data as well as add new features. The incumbent is expected to work with very large datasets, both independently and in collaboration with other software developers, analysts and scientists in an interdisciplinary group.
In addition, Computer System Engineer 1/2 will exercise independent judgment in determining methods and approaches to solving highly complex issues across various technologies.
Computer Systems Engineer (Level 1) Specific Responsibilities:
• Work on designing and implementing portable and scalable pipelines underlying the next-generation IMG system.
• Ensure accurate software version control, testing and release engineering.
• Help develop qualitative and predictive analytics to inform organizational policy.
• Create documentation and training materials.
• Help select and/or implement basic computational biology algorithms based on benchmarking and analytical techniques.
• Stay current with new algorithms and codes for computational biology.
In addition to the above, Computer Systems Engineer (Level 2) Specific Responsibilities:
• Facilitate the training and transfer of knowledge of technologies to other group members in the division.
• Serve as a key contributor called upon to troubleshoot and recommend solutions to technical problems.
• Assist with the curation and processing of legacy and current data and metadata.
Computer Systems Engineer (Level 1) Required Qualifications:
• BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or closely related field, with a minimum of 2 or more years of experience team-based software engineering.
• Demonstrated experience designing, developing, and testing quality software – preferably using Python in a UNIX/Linux environment.
• Solid grasp of Computer Science fundamentals, including algorithms and data structures.
• Evidence of knowledge of systems design and implementation.
• Familiarity with relational databases (Oracle preferred).
• Excellent knowledge and experience with software development practices – unit testing, interfaces, self-documenting code, source code management (Git), bug tracking.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including public-speaking and presentation skills.
• Ability to apply analytical skills and creativity to solve highly technical/complex problems.
• Effective time management, organization, and planning skills with the ability to allocate resources and assign work to meet goals and deadlines.
• Must be able to work well under short deadlines and simultaneously handle multiple tasks.
• Detail-oriented with ability to work effectively in both team and solo environments.
In addition to the above, Computer Systems Engineer (Level 2) Required Qualifications:
• A minimum of 5 years of related experience, or a Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or closely related field and a minimum of 3 years related experience.
• Familiarity with different types of sequence data.
• Experience with genomic analysis software, and knowledge of various bioinformatics algorithms related to sequence analysis.
• Working knowledge of basic genomic concepts, data types, and data analysis methods, and their representation in software systems.
• Experience with one or more ofPython, Perl, Java, C/C++
• Experience with modern cluster/cloud/distributed computational and storage systems.
• Experience with CI/CD tools and frameworks (e.g., Gitlab, Jenkins).
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a full time, 2 years, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• Classification will depend upon the applicant's level of skills, knowledge, and abilities.
• This position will be filled at the Computer Systems Engineer or Computer Systems Engineer 2 level, dependent on experience.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) — 2800 Mitchell Dr., Walnut Creek, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=155001 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html).Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
See related AI ML Jobs