PayPay is looking for a Data Engineer to work on our payment system to deliver the best payment experience for our Japanese customers.
Our ideal candidate is a problem solver and a learner at heart. You should have a very high degree of comfort in a programming language of your choice. We offer a flexible work schedule and you get your choice of tools (both hardware and software) and most importantly, the opportunity to work on tough problems with the brightest minds around you.
- Work directly with Data Analysts and Platform Engineering Team to create reusable experimental and production data pipelines
- Understand, tune, and master the processing engines (like Spark, Hive, Cascading, etc) used day-to-day
- Keep the data whole, safe, and flowing with expertise on high volume data ingest and streaming platforms (like Spark Streaming, Kafka, etc)
- Shepherd and shape the data by developing efficient structures and schema for the data in storage and transit
- Explore as many new technology options for data processing, storage, and share them with the team
- Develop tools and contribute to open source wherever possible
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
*Transfer to PayPay branch offices elsewhere in Japan is possible
Annual salary range:
6,000,000 - 12,000,000 yen
(approx. $54,000 - $107,000 USD)
*This is the basic range, but a hire’s actual salary will be determined based on factors including experience, skills, and performance. Therefore, salary could end up being higher or lower than this range.
Salary raises based on annual performance review
Pay day is the 25th of every month.
Paid once a year. Worth 06 months’ salary, based on individual performance evaluation and PayPay’s business performance.
Benefits, work hours, and vacations
Benefits and allowances:
Social insurance (health insurance, employee pension, employment insurance and compensation insurance,) defined contribution pension system (TBC) and etc. PC and phone are provided to employees.
Allowances: Overtime allowance, late-night work allowance and commuting allowance (up to 150,000 yen).
Training programs: We have various training programs available for different kinds of needs.
Essentially, work hours are from 10:00am - 6:45pm. However PayPay engineers can utilize a flex time system with no set core hours.
Holidays and days off:
Annual paid leave, congratulatory leave, bereavement leave, maternity leave, leave to care for sick or injured children/family members
Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays are all days off. The new year’s holiday, from December 29th to January 4th is also off.
Required skills and experience
- Experience building data pipelines ingesting and transforming large number of events per minute and terabytes of data per day.
- Have worked with Spark and Kafka before and have experimented or heard about Flink/Druid/Ignite/Presto/Athena and understand when to use one over the other. Preferably, you have worked with cloud based big data processing platform such as AWS EMR, Google Cloud DataProc.
- Passionate about producing clean, maintainable and testable code part of real-time data pipeline.
- Understanding of how microservices work.
- Can connect different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before and follow the flow of data through various pipelines to debug data issues.
- Understanding of issues with ingesting data from applications in multiple data centers across geographies, on-premise and cloud and will find a way to solve them.
- Proficient in Java/Scala/Python/Spark
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages, preferably Scala.
- Experience with implementing platform components such as RESTful APIs, Pub/Sub Systems, Database Clients.
- Experience with AWS services.
- Contribution to open source projects.
- Knowledge about the Japanese payment industry